Monday 15 December 2014

Not so grim up north: Beamish Museum

I had a little outing at the weekend as my other half had bought us tickets to visit Beamish Museum (he had gone a few years ago with his friends and I had been very jealous). Beamish is a wonderful place all year, but is extra special when it feels all Christmassy, so I thought it might be nice to introduce this little gem to those who have never heard of it.

Be prepared for pictures... So many pictures.

Beamish Museum is an open air museum based in the 1900s. It can be found between Consett and Chester-le-Street, not more than a fifteen minute drive from Newcastle. The idea is that there are clusters of old buildings in the countryside (moved there brick by brick from their original locations, yes people, Beamish mean business) where they have recreated the era down to the last detail (clothes, shops, houses, workplaces, schools, and a coal pit). You are free to wander round and have a nosey in any open door at the bits and pieces on display. In some of the houses and other buildings are people who are dressed up and will talk about their site (house, shop, bank) and answer any questions you have.


The main town area is great, it has a line of shops, stables, bandstand, bank, Freemasons hall, dentist (which is freaky... Trust me!). My favourite place here is the sweet shop where you can buy sweets the staff have made using the techniques of the 1900s (big tip.... The cinder toffee is amazing!)

Decorations up next to the bank.

I love the draper. I don't think things have really changed much in fabric shops...

There are lovely window displays everywhere...

Near the town centre is a train station where if you are lucky you can get a ride on a working steam train.

And everywhere you look, there is something interesting...
And a bit strange...
I can't help but wonder how many people used the 'facilities' before that sign went up!

There are trams and old busses to get you to different parts of the museum, some older than others, and all the conductors can give you information on the trams, how they were used, and where each tram came from.


In another part of the museum there is the pit village, this has a row of houses with gardens and coal sheds, I think some of the out houses were the netty (what my grandad used to call 'paddy faddles'). There's also a school (I went on a trip when I was a kid where we all dressed up as Victorians and had a Victorian schoolday), I don't think kids still get caned there, I wouldn't like to push my luck!
Inside the houses there are all sorts of old fashioned bits and pieces, it really gives you an idea of how life was lived.


They decorated the houses with paper chains for Christmas, I really want to copy this in my own home. There is usually an open fire, and if you're lucky the smell of baking, and you can find some things that we still use today...

Golden syrup, it's nice to see, has never changed!

There is also a church and a coal pit, with carts and the processing centre, building, bit. If you want to you can go down one of the old mine shafts with a guide, but I didn't fancy that!

No thanks!!

At Christmas there is a brass band in the town and a Christmas market, in the village there is an ice skating rink, and near the Manor House (we didn't have time to go yesterday so I've got no photos... Sorry) you can visit Santa near the train shed. They even put fake snow out to make it extra special!


In all this is a wonderful day out, you need a good four hours to make the best of it, but every time I go I find a new little hidden gem. And the best thing is.... The pass lets you in as many times as you want in a year.... Mmmmm..... More cinder toffee!

Sweet shop seen in background here, it's always busy in there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment