Wednesday 7 January 2015

The snuggest of snug scarves

It's not something I've done since I learned how to knit, is making a scarf, and that one wasn't even for me. This winter I decided I wanted a huge snugly scarf to keep me resembling a bug in a rug while out and about in the (granted not that cold) grim old North.
After scouring the tomes of Ravelry patterns to find a suitable freebie I stumbled accross a pattern for a ribbed scarf with a difference, a little extra oomph to make it a bit more special. (Link will be appearing here soon... Promise).

 
It's a really easy pattern to follow which is part rib, part moss stitch. I used a cheap and cheerful synthetic bulky yarn which I found in Wooly Minded in Newcastle in a yummy rich red colour (I think the colour was called "burgundy"). The result... Squishy city! I made it really (perhaps excessively) bulky but if you prefer a more slender scarf it's easy enough to reduce a couple of pattern repeats to make it lighter, and of course it can be made up in a lighter yarn (DK might produce nice results).

 And a close up of the stitches.

I wanted a quick fix knit that I could get finished and get some wear out of before Christmas. I cast this on December 6th and I finished it a week (and two balls of wool) later, now that's satisfying! I like to have long and more detailed projects on the go too.. But sometimes delayed gratification just doesn't work for a girl.

 I mean check out how squishy and snugly this bad boy is!!

When I'm wearing it I can either fold it down so it sits under my chin, or unfold it and have it covering my nose as well as my ears! Think wooly red ninja (he he).

 This is the folded down version. I love my scarf :)

No comments:

Post a Comment