Monday 2 February 2015

Lady Skater Dress

                           
 
After my recent success with using knit fabric I just couldn't resist buying the pattern for the Lady Skater Dress from Kitchy Koo. I've seen lots of versions of this, I'm really impressed by how versatile a pattern this is. 
                           
There are three sleeve options, two of these are finished with cute little cuffs, so this is a dress for all seasons. I love 3/4 sleeves though, so I knew that was happening straight away!
It comes as a PDF to print off and piece together, I seem to have a lot of these now. It's easy enough to stick together and is easy to make up, but I will confess that I didn't get along with the instructions. It seemed to want me to stitch the open sleeve pieces to the bodice (which is stitched together over the shoulders only), then stitch from cuff via armpits to hem... Well that's just weird! I decided to ignore this, put the body together then set in the sleeves, and everything turned out just fine!
               
I love the neckline binding too. This was a skill new to me when I made the Plantain t-shirt, I think it gives the dress a lovely and professional feel.

                          
 I had a couple of fitting issues with the rest of the dress, I needed to shorten the bodice and widen the bodice pieces just under the bust (I have narrow shoulders and prefer a bit more room accross my stomach. I think next time I won't lift the waist quite as high, it's comfy but not perfect. 

                             
 Overall this is a great pattern, it's easy to make and is super comfy to wear. I actually put it together before Christmas, but as I've worn it so much I just never had the chance to take photos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment