Sunday 12 April 2015

Birthday frock

I may have mentioned that I had some holiday before Easter, this was because it was my birthday last week. What better excuse to make a pretty new dress (well a girl needs something shiny and new when she's going out for a birthday dinner).

 
I had a lovely lawn weight cotton in my stash, and had recently obtained a new pattern from the front of "Sew" magazine, everything was falling perfectly into place. The pattern I used was New Look 6184, which I decided to make in view A (although belts aside I don't see much difference between that and B). And the cotton is a navy blue with red roses on, and you can't see it very well in the photos, but there are little gold leaves dotted about too. I like to think of it as casual glamour.


This was such an easy pattern to put together, not many pattern pieces, bias binding for armholes (which I continued to the hem too)

 (Check out those little gold leaves!)

It just looks so neat and professional... I love this method for the hem, just cut the skirt to 1/4" longer than you want it to be and flip it under rather than folding over the hem.
The worst thing that went wrong with the making of this dress was my buying the wrong length zip, it stops a good 3" from the neckline. I didn't have time to go and buy another, so I made a quick fix by adding a button to the neckline (I found a great bright red one in my button jar which matched the roses)

 
I think it looks cute. I was tempted to make another version of this dress with buttons all the way down the back, but that would be a bugger to fasten.

 
I really love the pleats around the neckline, giving just a bit of interest without being fussy.


And of course I do love a big full floaty skirt. This will be a favourite dress of mine through the summer.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment