Wednesday 8 April 2015

Not so grim up north: Barter Books

I had a bit of holiday time just before Easter, so I decided to have a day trip out to my favourite bookshop. This is quite a title as I am a big fan of the book, and a big fan of the shop of book, but this is the most wonderful place... Ever!


Built in the old train station in Alnwick (the nearest station now is Alnmouth... Which is also beautiful), it was opened in the 90s as a second hand trade in shop. You can take your much read books and use them (barter them if you will) towards future purchases of more books. It is the biggest second hand bookshop in the north, and you can find anything from Jamie Oliver through Haynes Manuels, to OS maps, to first edition rarities.
I swear I have never managed to leave this place without at least three books!

 
Because it is the old Alnwick station it is such a beautiful quirky building, there are rows upon rows of bookshelves absolutely packed with all kinds of weird and wonderful things.

 
Big cosy sofas to snuggle into to decide which of the 15 books that you want, you are actually taking home. 


In one part (where the tills are) there is even a little model railway that trundles around above your head... Such a soothing noise


There are pieces of art and quotes all over the place, and if you don't come for the books then you must surely be in need of the tiffin!

 
That's what was on that plate, chocolate (malteser and toffee) tiffin cake slice (home made don't you know) with a big pot of tea in their Platform Buffet cafe. And yes... That is indeed an open coal fire smouldering away in there! They are all over the place!


It actually takes 1.5 hours to get here on the bus... I'd travel for much longer for an afternoon here. You can spend hours just browsing, I found myself an old knitting book on my last visit (hardback and only £4!) though I forgot to photo that! And because of the unpredictable rotation of stock, it's best to visit every couple of months... Just in case you miss something (or need more tiffin)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment