Thursday 16 April 2015

You must wear socks!

So my target for this year.... The big one... The intimidating one.... Socks
I am so proud of myself, I have managed it within a mere four months (no I've not been continuously knitting them all that time, most of it was the build up). May I present to you....

 SOCKS!!

These are knitted up using Regia Zoofari sock yarn (75% wool with polyamide to give it extra strength). I loved the colours of most of this range, but it was the turquoise in the 'Chameleon' which sold me. I found a pattern on Ravelry (Vanilla Latte) which was free! But also really easy to follow, though reading about heel turning only made me more nervous.

 
The pattern has a lovely knit/purl rib to it which is super easy to remember, so the pattern wasn't a problem, it was getting the hang of the rest of it!
Once I had mastered the DPN challenge, and managed to separate the heel flap and manage a knit slip kind or rib.. I then began to fret about the heel.
The truth is, once you're there and doing it, it's really easy. I felt so proud once I had a little heel cup on the needles. Once you've mastered that it's just picking up stitches and decreasing once on each side. It really is easy, I couldn't believe it.

 
Of course it's never completely plain sailing. Firstly I made them very small ankle socks because I had a dread that I would get halfway through sock 2 and run out of wool... Look at how much I had leftover though...


Loads!! (Also rubbish picture... Sorry). I really wish I'd made them longer. I also discovered halfway through sock 1 that they were huge. I don't really see my feel as being particularly small (I'm a size 4.5 for pity sake), but they were very loose on me. So I ripped back and adjusted the size by taking out one pattern repeat, and reducing the sts on the heel flap. They fit perfectly after that.

 
I'm so proud of these socks, my very first pair... Of many I should add.

Oh, and guess what everyone's getting for Christmas this year (mwoar har har)

No comments:

Post a Comment