Monday 22 June 2015

Knit all the socks!!!

I will hold my hands up... I am a selfish sewer (that's person who sews, not the drainage system, though it's spelt the same) I sew for myself, and I rather begrudge sewing for other people. Knitting, on the other hand, I love giving as gifts! And so on Father's Day I wanted to knit my dad something. So I began my second ever pair of socks.


I used leftover yarn from my 'V is for' jumper, it's not technically sock yarn but it's lovely and silky. As an added bonus the red and blue colours were exactly the same as an old jumper that dad has worn since I can remember (much to my mums despair), so it seemed fate to use it.
The pattern for these is the 'basic ribbed sock' which is much loved and free on Ravelry. The simplicity of the pattern set off the red stripes really beautifully.


I didn't stripe the whole sock as I had much less of the red leftover from my jumper (although I've since bought even more to make a cardigan from.... Honestly I really love this yarn!), so I put two stripes at the ankle, the body of the foot in navy, and another stripe with a red toe. They look really fancy, and they're nice and balanced which soothes my obsessive tendencies.


I also followed the advice in 'Stitch'n'Bitch' for keeping the stripes nice and neat by knitting all round even accross the ribs on the colour change row, it doesn't affect the flow, but is beautiful and clean. One thing I worried about was the toe being too tight. I just gathered the remaining stitches as I've not mastered the kirchner stitch (or how to spell it I suspect), so that's my aim for my next pair.


Dad seemed to like them though, so I'm really pleased about that!nand I shall continue to knit gifts for people as long as they're happy to receive them.




No comments:

Post a Comment